Purpose of the job:
LSME is a fast-growing Higher Education Provider in London, offering training in Teaching, Business Management and Health and Social Care. The College is currently looking for a qualified, competent and experienced Lecturer to deliver University validated Master of Education (MEd). Programme for learners seeking growth and development in the Academic field.
The general responsibilities of the Lecturer are to provide comprehensive lecturing/tutorial, assignment, assessment services to students, and monitoring students’ attendance & academic progress. The lecturer, to assist the student in his/her education, will effectively utilise the resources of the London School of Management Education (LSME). The Lecturer will provide feedback to inform supervising staff about the progress of their students.
This position reports to the Director and the Principal.
The lecturer is required to:
- Promote the LSME mission, philosophy and values in all interactions with students, school staff and others.
- Inspire, motivate, and encourage all students.
- Arrive at every session early and create a productive tutoring atmosphere utilising adequate and well-prepared resources.
- Prepare all course material and resources in advance of the session and before students arrive for their classes.
- Learn and follow the strategic tutoring method to achieve the goals in each student’s tutoring session.
- Address students’ immediate educational concerns at each session, while adhering to the strategic tutoring method.
- Review what was taught at each session and report on students’ progress accordingly.
- Maintain a record of students’ attendance & progress, feedback and college performance.
- Communicate with and respond to requests from awarding bodies via email/phone/mail.
- Inform the Principal as soon as practicable, of any concerns with tutoring sessions.
- Inform the Administrative Department of any discrepancies in time worked. Submit weekly timesheets promptly at the end of each week.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality of all students’ academic and personal information.
- Establish and maintain rapport with the assigned students.
- Help students develop self-confidence, raise self-concept, and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Assist students to achieve a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving their academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Help students develop the study skills necessary for academic success.
- Serve as a role model for students being served.
- Attend all required training and meetings.
- Ensure classrooms and staff-room, including any materials/resources are maintained at high standards of tidiness and cleanliness.
- Undertake any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the Lecturer.
- Develop personal, academic and social abilities and take responsibility to help in self-development.
- Plan and implement effective classroom management practices and design and implement effective strategies to develop self-responsible and independent learners.
- Guide students effectively and provide a protected and supportive learning environment.
- Assist key activities and documents which aid good College organisation. Specifically;
- Assist the Principal in strategising for the successful delivery of teaching activities, schedules and well-resourced timetables.
- Assist the Principal with the production of the Course Handbooks and teaching recourses
- Maintain academic systems and processes in Education and Training that ensure national quality standards are consistently adhered to
- Assist the Executive Director in developing and designing marketing material for academic services
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate is expected to have the following qualifications and experience:
- Master of Education (essential).
- Doctoral Degree (desirable) with a track record of relevant research publications.
- At least three years’ relevant teaching experience in higher education.
- Evidence of continuous commitment to self-development.
Skills and Knowledge
A successful candidate will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications that typically include:
- Written and verbal communication skills, including confident public speaking and active listening.
- Superior knowledge of Education and Training units and specification.
- Ability to break complex topics down to make them more accessible.
- Conflict resolution and classroom management for managing disagreements between students and for disruptive behaviour.
- Organisation and management of various projects and administrative tasks for different classes.
- Creative thinking to engage students and develop innovative solutions to aid learning.
- Basic computer literacy, including proficiency in Excel, Word Processing, PowerPoint, online teaching platforms (such as Zoom /MS Teams) and plagiarism check and record-keeping software.
- Takes constructive and developmental feedback on board.
- Prompt in responding to emails to students and staff.
- Strong team working ethos.
- Pays attention to detail.
- Makes the best use of technology.
- Highly organised.
- Proactive and not reactive.
- To keep up to date with new research and current practice, utilising national bodies such as Pearson.
- Regularly review own practice, set personal targets and take responsibility for own personal development.
- Regularly attend in-house workshops, seminars and conferences for continuing personal and professional development.
Equality and Inclusive Hiring
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability status.
The College stringently follows the government guidelines on creating a Covid-secure teaching and learning environment and also a Covid Asymptomatic Testing Site is set up for twice-weekly testing of students and staff.
Interested applicants meeting the requirements above may send in their CV and a Personal Statement justifying their competency to the advertised position along with a covering letter to email@example.com by 20 August 2021.
Salary: £35,000 – £40,000 per annum (gross)